By Luke Anderson
March 9, 2016
The Bath Stone Ranch outside Laramie is richly embedded in the history of America and the West. Henry Bath immigrated with his family to the United States from Germany in 1848. After twenty years in New York, Henry’s parents decided to follow the brand new Union Pacific railroad out west, although they did not actually travel west by train. Traveling by oxcart instead, they journeyed from the fall of 1867 to the summer of 1868 before they permanently settled in Laramie. Henry Bath was a prolific cabinet maker and built the town’s first frame building, the New York House, located on Front Street right by the railroad tracks. This hotel and saloon was infamously known for hosting the hanging of three men outside its entrance in October of 1868.
Bath located his homestead by the Little Laramie River in 1869, with the original buildings being constructed entirely out of timber. Six years later, Henry quarried local stone and built the stone house that still exists at the site today. The large stone barn and simple frame house on the property were added in 1912 by Henry’s son Fred Bath.
Like what you just read?
- Browse our archive of profiles by clicking here, or read about historic spaces by clicking here.
- Subscribe to our newsletter to learn more about preservation news.
- Donate or become a member to help us produce stories, organize events, and be a voice for preservation across the state.
- Like us on Facebook, and follow us on Twitter and Instagram to see our latest updates!
This project was funded by a Historic Architecture Assistance Fund grant, and completed by Randy Hafer and his team at High Plains Architects. The program is offered by the Alliance for Historic Wyoming in partnership with Wyoming Main Street and the Wyoming State Historic Preservation Office, and is made possible by a grant from the Wyoming Cultural Trust Fund.