By Luke Anderson
August 13, 2015
The Warren Rest House is located in Holliday Park in Cheyenne, Wyoming. The structure is named for Frances E.Warren, the same individual for whom the local air force base is named (F.E. Warren Air Force Base).Warren donated the funds for the building to be constructed in the original City Park, which is now occupied by the Wyoming State Supreme Court Building. The shelter house was built in 1902 in memory of Warren’s wife.
In the mid-1930s, the Warren Rest House was moved from City Park to Holliday Park to make room for the Supreme Court building which went up in 1937. It has sat at this location ever since. Originally, the building had two levels. Above, it functioned as a covered shelter. Below, it featured storage and public restrooms. When it was moved, only the upper level was kept.
Prominent Wyoming architect William Dubois, who designed Cheyenne’s Carnegie Library (demolished in the 1970s), designed the Warren Rest House. The building sits on a buff sandstone foundation with red and blond exterior brick and red brick on the interior. The brick guardrails have detailed recessed panels. The shelter’s entry steps are made of granite. The roof is constructed of timber and has asphalt shingles, though the original structure used Spanish Red tile.
The Warren Rest House’s connection to a prominent local resident as well as having been designed by a well-known and prolific local architect makes this building historically, culturally, and architecturally significant. Frances E. Warren’s love for his wife and his city led to his donation of funds that would go on to provide a structure for public use for over 100 years.
LIKE WHAT YOU JUST READ?
- Browse our archive of profiles by clicking here, or read about historic spaces by clicking here.
- Subscribe to our newsletter to learn more about preservation news.
- Donate or become a member to help us produce stories, organize events, and be a voice for preservation across the state.
- Like us on Facebook, and follow us on Twitter and Instagram to see our latest updates!
This project was funded in part by a Historic Architecture Assistance Fund grant, and completed by Bennett Wagner Grody Architects. The program is offered by the Alliance for Historic Wyoming in partnership with Wyoming Main Street and the Wyoming State Historic Preservation Office, and is made possible by a grant from the Wyoming Cultural Trust Fund.