By Luke Anderson
October 5, 2016
In a way, the the Wolf Hotel in Saratoga owes its existence to a particular case of rheumatism. Frederick Wolf, the founder of the hotel, suffered from achy joints and traveled to the hot springs in Saratoga for relief in 1887 (Cheung). Wolf stayed and began development on the now famous hotel. Wolf and his wife Christina came to the United States in 1875 and settled in Rawlins where Frederick worked for the railroad (Van Pelt). Nearly twenty years later, the Wolfs completed their hotel. It opened to the public in early 1894 and served passengers on the Union Pacific between Encampment and the Wolcott Junction (Van Pelt). The hotel still hosts guests over 120 years later and was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in the 1970s. Now a hub for tourists, the Wolf Hotel is an anchor in the Saratoga community and is one of the more recognized buildings in Carbon County and southeast Wyoming.
The Wolf Hotel was built in a Victorian style out of brick. It has a gabled roof with four distinctive gabled dormers on the north facade. A broad front porch extends along the front of the building. Windows on the hotel are primary double-hung and feature segmental brick arches that continue as decorative brick coursing around the exterior walls. The hotel formerly had false half-timbering in its gable ends as well as folk Victorian wood carvings in the gable points.
Cheung, Han. "Wolf Hotel in Saratoga marks 120 years." Casper Star Tribune. January 19, 2014.
Van Pelt, Lori. "Hotel Wolf." WyoHistory.org.
LIKE WHAT YOU JUST READ?
- Browse our archive of Historic Places and Spaces Profiles by clicking here.
- To learn about all of our campaigns and initiatives, click here.
- Subscribe to our newsletter to learn more about what's going on in Wyoming.
- Donate or become a member to help us produce stories, organize events, and be a voice for preservation across the state.
- Like us on Facebook, and follow us on Twitter and Instagram to see our latest updates!