By Luke Anderson
July 28, 2015
The Andy Chambers Homestead Cabin is located within Grand Teton National Park. Andy Chambers was one of the first homesteaders to populate Mormon Row when he settled there in 1912. He secured the claim to his land in 1916 when he fenced in 30 acres, cultivated 20 of them, and built a log cabin. For 40 years after its construction, the cabin was used continuously and received several additions to accommodate evolving family life on the high plains.
The cabin was built with horizontally laid logs with boxed corners. The cabin features two exterior porches. An original brick chimney once jutted above the house, but when the roof was replaced, the top of the chimney was removed and confined to the interior.
The significance of Andy Chambers as one of the first to populate the region combined with the cabin’s relatively good condition despite being almost 100 years old give the cabin historical and architectural importance. Grand Teton National Park acquired the cabin in 1956. With the exception of minor structural stabilization work done in 1995 and 2010, the materials of the cabin are almost entirely original. The park would eventually like to open up the interior of the cabin for public access. The property was listed on the National Register for Historic Places in 1990.
LIKE WHAT YOU JUST READ?
- Browse our archive of Historic Places and Spaces Profiles by clicking here.
- To learn about all of our campaigns and initiatives, click here.
- Subscribe to our newsletter to learn more about what's going on in Wyoming.
- Donate or become a member to help us produce stories, organize events, and be a voice for preservation across the state.
- Like us on Facebook, and follow us on Twitter and Instagram to see our latest updates!