By Luke Anderson
August 3, 2015
Building No. 263, also designated by a sign at its entrance as Shoshone Tribal Roads Building, is located within the historic area of the Wind River Blockhouse and Shoshone Agency in Fort Washakie, Wyoming. It was built in 1906 in a typical bungalow style for the Shoshone Agency. It has one story, a simple rectangular floor plan, and a low-sloped hipped roof. Despite its rocky appearance, the building was built out of hollow concrete blocks that were made to look like quarried stone.
Currently, the building is owned by the Shoshone Tribe of the Wind River Reservation. The Shoshone Historical Society has plans to do restoration work on the house to make it into offices for themselves and the Shoshone Historic Preservation Office. The building is over 100 years old and is not yet listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
LIKE WHAT YOU JUST READ?
- Browse our archive of Historic Places and Spaces Profiles by clicking here.
- To learn about all of our campaigns and initiatives, click here.
- Subscribe to our newsletter to learn more about what's going on in Wyoming.
- Donate or become a member to help us produce stories, organize events, and be a voice for preservation across the state.
- Like us on Facebook, and follow us on Twitter and Instagram to see our latest updates!
This project was funded in part by a Historic Architecture Assistance Fund grant, and completed by CTA Architects and Engineers. The program is offered by the Alliance for Historic Wyoming in partnership with Wyoming Main Street and the Wyoming State Historic Preservation Office, and is made possible by a grant from the Wyoming Cultural Trust Fund.