By AHW Staff
September 27, 2017
Hallville was originally named Hall after a railroader who worked to grade the Bitter Creek channel. The Hallville and nearby Black Butte Mines were both opened in 1869, the year after the Union Pacific was completed in the area. At its peak, 100 coal cars per week were loaded and brought out of the Hallville Mine. The mine was abandoned in 1870 but according to census records, six people were still living there as late as 1880 as railroad laborers.
Today there is little left to see of the towns, but the landscape still tells the story of both the land use and abandonment. There are holes visible from dugout houses, cracks from collapsed mine shafts, and a barren landscape that would have been characteristic of the place even when the town and mine were busy.
LIKE WHAT YOU JUST READ?
- Browse our archive of Historic Places and Spaces Profiles by clicking here.
- To learn about all of our campaigns and initiatives, click here.
- Subscribe to our newsletter to learn more about what's going on in Wyoming.
- Donate or become a member to help us produce stories, organize events, and be a voice for preservation across the state.
- Like us on Facebook, and follow us on Twitter and Instagram to see our latest updates!