The “new” Reliance Tipple was built in 1936 to replace an earlier wooden tipple originally constructed in 1910. The upgraded structure was built as part of a modernization and imporovement program by the Union Pacific Coal Company which also included other new technologies and 350 new mining cars.
Coal was delivered to the tipple from nearby mines where it was sorted by size and then loaded into coal hopper cars or box cars for shipment on to the railroad. The tipple oprerated until 1955 when diesel-electric locomotives were adopted by Union Pacific, greatly reducing the need for coal along the railroad line.
This is just one of two tipples left in Wyoming. The other is located in Aladdin, and is constructed of wood.
LIKE WHAT YOU JUST READ?
- Browse our archive of Historic Places and Spaces Profiles by clicking here.
- To learn about all of our campaigns and initiatives, click here.
- Subscribe to our newsletter to learn more about what's going on in Wyoming.
- Donate or become a member to help us produce stories, organize events, and be a voice for preservation across the state.
- Like us on Facebook, and follow us on Twitter and Instagram to see our latest updates!