By Katherine Kasckow
September 20, 2017
While many Wyoming towns only have one train depot, Rock Springs has two historic depots, reflecting the importance of the railroad for the community and the surrounding area. These buildings also show how much of a transportation hub that Rock Springs was in the region throughout its development. This profile will focus on the passenger depot located at Depot Park at 501 S. Main Street in downtown Rock Springs. The other depot is the freight depot, which has been renovated and reused as the offices of Rock Springs’ Main Street program.
The original depot in Rock Springs was built in 1900 in a the Richardsonian Romanesque style, which was used on many Union Pacific depots across the country. In the 1990s the depot’s interior and exterior were both restored. According to the City of Rock Springs’ website, the building became “the primary entrance to the rugged western town for thousands of European and Asian immigrants that came to Rock Springs seeking work in the mines or just a new life in America.” The preservation of the depot is significant not only as a part of Wyoming’s railroad history, but also as a representation of Wyoming’s labor and ethnic history that helped shape the city we see today. The depot is a contributing structure to the Downtown Rock Springs Historic District listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
LIKE WHAT YOU JUST READ?
- Browse our archive of Historic Places and Spaces Profiles by clicking here.
- To learn about all of our campaigns and initiatives, click here.
- Subscribe to our newsletter to learn more about what's going on in Wyoming.
- Donate or become a member to help us produce stories, organize events, and be a voice for preservation across the state.
- Like us on Facebook, and follow us on Twitter and Instagram to see our latest updates!